Zhejiang University Marine Scholarship of China (2019)
I. General Information
The ocean, covering about 71% of the Earth¡¯s surface, plays a primary role in addressing the climate change and supporting the global economy, trade and livelihood. The sustainable ocean development has direct impact on the development and prosperity of all coastal countries now and in the future. And it has become an inexorable trend worldwide that through international cooperation and exchange we should deepen our understanding of the ocean and promote sustainable ocean development to enhance regional and global economic prosperity. Under this consideration, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China (hereinafter called the Scholarship) for the purpose of providing financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China for a master¡¯s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
II. When and How to Apply
Application deadline: March 31st 2019.
Applicants should apply to Zhejiang University directly and submit the application materials to Admission Office of International College by post or in person. The application materials submitted by email will NOT be accepted.
Note: The envelope of application package should be marked ¡°Application for Marine Scholarship of China 2019¡±.
Please note the winter break is from January 26th 2019 to February 21st 2019, during which there will be no real-time processing of your application.
III. Enrollment Eligibility
1. The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, theIndian Ocean, the Pacific and its surround island countries, or an African developing country.
2. The applicant must apply for the postgraduate program of ocean-related specialties£¨ Programs List of ZJU 2019£©.
3. Any applicant who is currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors will be given high priority.
4. The applicant for master¡¯s degree studies is required to have a bachelor¡¯s degree and be usually under the age of 40.
5. The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master¡¯s degree and be usually under the age of 45.
IV. Duration of the Scholarship
1. Candidates for master¡¯s degree: 2-3 years of study with the Scholarship
2. Candidates for doctoral degree: 3-4 years of study with the Scholarship
3. Scholarship awardees who choose Chinese as the teaching language and request Chinese language training prior to their formal academic studies will receive one-year training and have their scholarship funding extended correspondingly for one year.
4. The duration of the Scholarship will be defined upon the student¡¯s admission to the university, and will not be extended in principle. If a student is unable to finish the program for some special reasons, his or her scholarship may be extended until graduation with prior consent of SOA, the university and CSC.
V. Scholarship funding details
1. Tuition waiver
2. Free accommodation on campus
3. Living allowance: RMB 3,000 per month for master¡¯s students, and RMB3,500 per month for doctoral students
4. Comprehensive Medical Insurance
1. Living allowance is to be granted by the university on a monthly basis, starting from the date of entrance of the student. For the first month, the students who register before or on the 15th day of the month will receive the allowance in full, and those after the 15th day of the month, in half. The allowance will extend half a month after the specified graduation date designated by the university. As for those who suspend, quit or complete their academic program and return to their own country, the allowance will stop from the next month. The allowance covers the holidays recognized by the university. Those who are away in the holidays and unable to get their allowance in time may receive their dues when return to the university. And as for those who are late for the registration or stay away from the school without any formality of asking for absence for a time longer than one month, the allowance for that month shall be cancelled.
Those who have to suspend their program because of pregnancy or severe disease must return to their own country for delivery or recovery, and the travel must be at their own expense. Those who have been approved by the school authority to suspend their program, their qualification for the Scholarship may extend for no longer than one year and the allowance will stop during the suspension. But those who suspend their program on other excuses will be disqualified from the scholarship.
2. For more detailed information, please check the website of China Scholarship Council.
VI£®Materials for application
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (to be filled out in Chinese or English)
Log on China Scholarship Council¡¯s Online Application System, fill in and submit application form, then print out the application form and sign.
Note: After you login to the online application system, please fill in ¡°Program Category¡± with Type B and ¡°Agency Number¡± with 10335.
2. Application for Admission to Zhejiang University(to be filled out in Chinese or English) .
Log on Zhejiang University¡¯s International Students Online Application System ,(fill in and submit application form, then print out the application form and sign.
iii. Photocopy of Passport
3. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor, download (if applicable)
Applicants are encouraged to contact their prospective supervisors in Ocean College of Zhejiang University prior to application to find faculty members of Ocean College and are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor.
4. Highest degree certificate, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
5. Academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
6. The applicant¡¯s study or research plan inChina(in Chinese or English)
7. Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by Professors or associate Professors
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form filled in Chinese or English. The original copy should be kept by the applicant. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid.
Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
VII. Scholarship admissions
1. SOA and the university will jointly organize a panel of reviewers to screen the candidates for the scholarship on the basis of the candidates¡¯ academic performance and achievements and their supervisors¡¯ opinions. The final list of the scholarship awardees will be publicly announced.
2. Entrusted by CSC, the university will mail the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) to the scholarship awardees by July 31.
3. In principle the Scholarship student is not allowed to change the school, subject and duration of study pre-defined on the Admission
VIII. Annual review of the Scholarship
1. According to the Measures of Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status, CSC will carry out a comprehensive annual review of the scholarship students¡¯ academic performance, attitude towards study, attendance records, behavior, rewards and punishments etc.
2. Scholarship students must pass the review to qualify themselves for next year¡¯s scholarship funding. Those who fail the review may have their scholarship suspended or terminated next year.
3. Those whose scholarship have been suspended may continue their study at the university at their own expense, and if they wish to recover eligibility of receiving the scholarship, they may attend the review next year and, upon passing the review, apply for the continuity of the Scholarship.
4. Those whose scholarships have been officially terminated are not eligible to apply for recovery of the Scholarship.
For details please refer to Measures of Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status.
Add: Room 4500, International College Building, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou£¬China
Tel: +86 571 87951456
Fax: +86 571 87951755
2. Department of International Cooperation, State Oceanic Administration
Add:1 Fuxingmenwai Avenue,Beijing,China
Tel: +86-10-68048072 / 68048080