Chinese Government Special Scholarship -University Postgraduate Program is established by the Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOE), aiming to develop outstanding international talent and improve the perception of China’s higher education. Under the mandate of the MOE, Zhejiang University is opening application for full-time postgraduate studies under the 2013 Chinese Government Special Scholarship -University Postgraduate Program.
I. Basic Information and Duration of the Scholarship
1. Number of scholarship students to be admitted: 50
2. Coverage of the scholarship:
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, and fee for basic learning materials;
- Free accommodation on campus;
- Living allowance: CNY 2,000 per month for doctoral degree students; CNY 1,700 per month for master's degree students;
- Fees for outpatient medical services, Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Medical Treatment Insurance;
- One-off settlement subsidy for new arrival students after registration: CNY 1,500 per person.
Note: For more detailed information, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council: http://www.csc.edu.cn
3. Categories of Applicants and Duration of the Scholarship
Master's Degree Students: 2-3 academic years
Doctoral Degree Students: 3-4 academic years
Note: Applicants who apply for courses instructed in Chinese must have a good command of Chinese language. If their Chinese proficiency have not reached the requirement of our institution for professional learning (refer to section III below), they are required to take one-year remedial Chinese language courses and pass the relevant test prior to the studies in their specialties. For those who take the one-year remedial Chinese language courses, the duration of the scholarship will be extended correspondingly.
II. When and How to Apply
Application deadline: April 1, 2013.
Applicants can submit the application materials (refer to section V below ) to the Admissions Office of the International College of Zhejiang University, by post or in person.The application materials submitted by email will not be accepted.
III. Eligibility Requirements
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and in good health.
2. Education background and age limit:
- Applicants for master's degree studies must have bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35;
- Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have master's degree and be under the age of 40.
3. Applicants should have a competitive academic record.
4. Applicants should have strong scientific research ability.
5. Applicants for programs of liberal arts, education and law should have an HSK test score of level 5(or above) or new HSK test level 4-score 210(or above); applicants for other programs should have an HSK test score of level 4(or above) or new HSK test level 4-score 190(or above). There are no Chinese language proficiency requirements for the applicants of English-taught programs, but they (except for English native speakers and those who have a college education conducted entirely in the English language) must have an internet-based TOEFL test score 90 or IELTS test score 6.5 (or above).
IV. Choices of Specialties
Click here to find the Master’s Degree Programs List and click here to find Master’s Degree Programs which can be taught in English.
Click here to find the Doctoral Degree Programs List and click here to find Doctoral Degree Programs which can be taught in English.
Applicants are encouraged to contact their prospective supervisors prior to application (clickhere to find websites of colleges /departments) and are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor (download).
V. Application Materials
Applicants must provide the following materials (Two sets with documents being placed in right order as follows):
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, filled in Chinese or in English.
Applicants shall fill in and submit application form via the CSC Online Application System for Study in China (http://laihua.csc.edu.cn ), then print application form and sign. Agency No. of Zhejiang University is 10335.
2. A photocopy of passport.
3. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor, download. (if applicable)
4. Highest degree certificate, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they must also provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5. Academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Applicants for master's degree studies need to provide their undergraduate transcripts, and those for doctoral degree studies need to provide their undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
6. HSK certificate. (Not required for English-taught programs)
7. Applicant for programs taught in English should submit the certificate of TOEFL or IELTS test score. (Not required for English native speakers and those who have a college education conducted entirely in the English language)
8. Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
9. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter)
10. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (if applicable)
11. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form, filled in English. (download) The original copy should be kept by the applicant. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid.
All application materials should be submitted to the Admissions Office of the International College of Zhejiang University by post or in person by the deadline. The incomplete application materials will not be processed.
Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
Note: After receiving the application materials, the university will check applicant’s information and process the application via CSC Online Application System for Study in China (http://laihua.csc.edu.cn ). If applicants re-fill or modify the application information at Online Application System after they submit application materials, they need resend the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship to Zhejiang university, otherwise applicants themselves will be responsible for all the possible consequences.
VI. Admission and Notification
1. ZhejiangUniversity will review all the application materials. Decisions for admission and for granting the scholarships will be made on the basis of the applicants' competitiveness, academic record and otherwise.
2. The name list of the scholarship awardees for postgraduate programs will be sent to China Scholarship Council for review in late April or early May, 2013.
3. After the name list is reviewed and approved by China Scholarship Council, the scholarship awardees will be notified by the university in June 2013 and Admission Notice with other relevant documents will be sent to them in July 2013.
1. Scholarship students' affairs are managed according to the relevant regulations of Chinese Government Scholarship. Scholarship students must go through the Annual Review of the Chinese Government Scholarship Status. If students fail in Annual Review, their scholarship will be terminated.
2. Scholarship students are not allowed to change their institutions as well as their academic programs or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice.
3. Scholarship students who have to suspend their studies due to illness must return to their home country for further treatment and recovery. Expenses for the international travel to and from the university will be borne by the students themselves, and their scholarship status will be reserved for one year at most, with the monthly living allowance stopped during the suspension. Scholarships of the students who suspend their studies for reasons other than illness will not be reserved.
4. The International College of ZhejiangUniversity is responsible for the interpretation of the scholarship granting procedures and regulations.
VIII. Contact Information
Admissions Office (Postgraduate Programs): Room 229, 231, DormitoryBuilding 31, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University
Mr. YI Email: email@example.com
Mr. TANG Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +86 571 87952848
Fax: +86 571 87951755
Admissions Office (Postgraduate Programs), InternationalCollege, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University,
No. 38 Zheda Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China 310027