I. Educational Objectives for Economics (PME) Major
For modern professions and scientific research activities, compound education is fundamental. At the core of compound education are the three principle disciplines of human knowledge: humanities, social science and natural science. Bringing these three together, the PME (Philosophy, Mathematics & Economics) major is called into life as a golden combination for compound education. What the PME offers, namely philosophy (basis for humanities research), economics (an important branch of social science) and mathematics (foundation for natural science), are precisely the essence of liberal arts education.
PME adopts a tutorial system, which gives students and teachers opportunities to develop deepened relationship based on better communication and cooperation.
Through the PME program, students can at the same time build up broad perspectives and receive top professional trainings; develop comprehensive theoretical thinking capabilities and abilities to understand, analyze and give quick evaluations to important information; step into the realm of thinking and inquiry, acquire concrete data-analytical skills and cultivate awareness of social responsibility. In general, PME aims to create leaders for the future by inspiring the gifts endowed with each student.
II. Degree Programs (Bachelor’s Degree)
Economics Major (PME) , 4 years
The program allows substantial flexibility that students can enjoy to discover and explore their gifts and to tailor their own study programs.
- Courses in Economics: 90 credits
- Courses in either or both of Philosophy and Mathematics: 30 credits
The fourth school year will offer special courses that facilitate topic and research oriented teaching, led by cross-disciplinary (PM, PE or ME) problems. These courses aim to bring together different disciplines, as well as the integration of economic theories and historical realities of the Chinese society, so as to encourage students to further develop their learning in an even broader knowledge space supplemented by practical understandings.
III. Total Credits:
International students must take Survey of China and Chinese language courses
IV. Course Instruction
All instructions are conducted in English.
All the teachers have international experiences.
Chinese language courses are provided to guarantee a successful Chinese
education with the following objectives:
l International students possess ability of fluent oral expression and full comprehension of information exchanged in Chinese;
1. Design Principles
1) PME represents the three most fundamental as well as most important aspects of human thoughts and social life. Philosophy is the representation of conceptual thinking and the root of critical thinking; mathematics is the representation of symbolic thinking and the basis for forming data-analytical thinking; economics is the representation of the most human activity since the inception of political society. The PME curriculum design unites general critical thinking, data-analytical thinking and social active thinking into one integral whole, in order to give students comprehensive ability to grasp the transcendental, the analytical and the experiential.
2) In principle, the courses are designed to reflect organic links among philosophy, mathematics and economics. These three disciplines share commonalities in terms of mental exercises and training: Logic forms part of the essential basic knowledge of philosophy and is also the foundation for mathematics at the same time, whereas mathematical knowledge is indispensable and critical for applied knowledge of economics. In our curriculum design, philosophical courses give stress to the training of logic and are connected with mathematical exercises and training, with the aim to provide clear and effective mental training for the study of economics. As far as the connection between mathematics and economics are concerned, the courses emphasize in particular the effectiveness and practicality of mathematical knowledge in its role as instrument and methodology for economic studies.
3) In choosing their major in one of the three areas, students must also take into consideration of the general PME framework. No matter which subject is chosen, courses worth 30 credits in the other two areas are equally required. Students who have chosen economics as their major must accomplish at least 30 credits in either/both of Mathematics and Philosophy.
2. Principle Courses
20 credits (Chinese language 17 + Survey of
History of Chinese
History of Western Philosophy
History of Religious
Introduction to Logic
The Theory and Method of
Economic and Social
Principles of Public Policy
Probability and Statistics
Special PE/ME Courses
The World Economy and Trade
Chinese Economic Transition and Development)
Industrial Organization Theory
Economic Foundations of Local Development
International Campus of Zhejiang University
Haining City, Zhejiang Province,
VII. Enrollment and Scholarships
We plan to enroll 20 students, all granted with full scholarship which covers tuition fee, accommodation fee on campus, living allowance as well as medical insurance.
— Tuition fee: CNY 131,200.
— Accommodation on campus: CNY 32,000.
— International student medical insurance: CNY 3,200. (Relevant medical insurance items can be found at www.lxbx.net).
TOTAL: CNY 230,800.
VIII. Deadline for Application
April 30, 2017
IX. Requirements for Applicants
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens between the ages of 18-30 with senior high school diploma, in good health and they must abide by Chinese laws as well as ZJU’s rules and regulations; they must also respect Chinese culture and customs.
Non-native English speakers must provide proofs of proficiency in English (TOEFL or IELTS ).
X. Required Documents for Application
1. Application for Admission to Zhejiang University for International Students (undergraduate);(Can be accessed here: Link)
- Applicants must first fill it out online then submit a signed hardcopy;.
2. Original or notarizedcopy of High School Diploma (English or Chinese);
3. Senior high school diploma (original copy or notarized copy in Chinese/English); Graduating high school students can provide instead a pre-graduation certificate issued by the school (in Chinese/English), but must supply diploma if admitted;
4. Original or notarized copy of transcripts of all courses taken during senior high school;
5. Photocopy of passport and one recent portrait photo (white background, 35mm x 45mm);
6. Proof of payment for application;
- Bank receipt of remittance of 400 RMB （Link to Bank Info）
7. Application Form for PME Undergraduate Scholarship of Zhejiang University.
- Application Fee is not refundable;
- Additional documents may be required by the school.
Will be determined according to evaluations based on applicants’ competitiveness and interviews
International students at International Campus of Zhejiang University enjoy single room dormitory.
XIII. Medical Insurance
International students are entitled to the comprehensive Medical Insurance offered by the university (However, physical and mental diseases incurred prior to registration are NOT covered). Relevant medical insurance items can be found at www.lxbx.net.
The usual registration period is late August or early September. The exact time will be specified in the matriculation notice. Students should apply for an X1 visa at a Chinese embassy or consulate. Usually a valid passport, matriculation notice, and JW202 Form are needed for the visa application.
For registration, students should report to International Campus of Zhejiang University at the time specified in the admission letter with the following documents: a valid passport, matriculation notice, JW202 Form and an X1 visa.
High school diplomas are required for students who have submitted pre-graduation certificate. Failure to do so will result into cancellation of admission.
XV. Mailing address
Office of Undergraduate Program, International College
Office B125 East 1 Building
866 Yu Hang Tang Road
Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University,
Post code: 310058
Please mark “PME Program Application Materials” on the envelope.
Mr. Cai: +86 571 88981022; Email: email@example.com
International College, Zhejiang University
Mr. Niu: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Campus of Zhejiang University at Haining