I. General Information for Doctoral Degree Programs
Zhejiang University is ranked among China’s leading Universities for both the quantity and quality of its doctoral degree programs. Several hundred academic majors are established in colleges and departments affiliated to seven faculties of science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, information technology, humanities and social sciences. With program length of 3-4 academic years, doctoral degree programs are offered in Chinese generally, while some English-taught programs are also available. Graduates fulfilling all the degree requirements will be awarded the doctoral degree.
The catalog of doctoral degree programs is subject to change. Please pay attention to the updated information on this website.
Applicants are encouraged to search in advance for information about relevant supervisors according to their own determined research direction on the official website of the academic colleges and departments and contact the relevant supervisors prior to application.
Applicants are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU supervisor if applicable.
II. Application Duration
From now on to February 28, 2023
Application for scholarships will be processed according to the schedules of different scholarships respectively.
Note: Applicants must complete the application in the Online Application System for International Students (Link) before the deadline, provide all materials in full as required, and pay the application fee.
III. Application Fee and Tuition Fee
1. Application Fee: RMB 800 yuan, non-refundable.
2. Tuition Fee
Philosophy, Literature, History
RMB 29,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
Econ., Business, Management,
RMB 34,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
Medical Science, Art, PE
RMB 39,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
-- An extra RMB 8,000 yuan/academic year shall be charged for programs whose language of instruction is English.
-- Tuition fee for some special programs could be found in the the Remarks Column of the program catalog.
--The Tuition fee standard listed above is for reference ONLY. The tuition fee standard released at registration shall prevail.
--For self-funded students, the tuition fee is not refundable.
3. Way of Payment: Application fee and tuition fee should be paid in the online application system. If one fails to make the online payment, then one MUST pay the application fee to the University’s Bank Account（Link）, and upload the remittance letter to the System.
1. General Requirements
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with proper moral conduct, in good health with no infectious disease or any physical or mental diseases that may affect the normal study, and be under the age of 40 (Age limit is flexible for healthy applicants with certain work experience and high academic ability). Applicants must be valid foreign passport holders and Master’s degree holders (Applicant who provide pre-graduation certificate or student status certificate at application MUST provide Master’s degree diploma prior to registration .)
2. Requirements on nationality
2.1 Applicant who has given up their original Chinese citizenship (including residents in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) and become foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese nationality, according to the policy of Ministry of Education of the PRC.
2.2 If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents were both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents was a Chinese citizen, parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent resident in foreign country should be obtained prior to the birth of the applicant.
3.Language proficiency requirements: Applicants should meet with Language Proficiency Requirements of Doctoral Degree Programs at Zhejiang University for International Applicants (Download).
V. Documents for Application
Applicants must log in to the Online Application System for International Students of Zhejiang University (Link), fill in clearly and upload completely the original or notarized scanned copies of the following materials as required.
1. A photocopy of passport.
2. Highest degree certificates. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate. The original or notarized copy of the academic qualification certificate must be submitted after admission (the degree certificate must be obtained no later than registration).
3. Academic transcripts during Master’s and Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies.
4. Language proficiency certificates. (Download)
5. Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
6. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
7. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If applicable)
8.2023 version of Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Supervisor.(If applicable，Click the filename to download)
Applicants shall provide the above form for supervisors to fill. Old versions will not be accepted.Applicants of some programs must provide acceptance letter, please refer to the catalog of doctoral degree programs.
9. Applicants are encouraged to provide GRE、NTS-GAT test score.
10. Applicant who has given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese nationality, according to the policy of Ministry of Education of the PRC.
11. If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents were both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents was a Chinese citizen, please provide
 documents certifying acquiring foreign citizenship at the time of birth;
 documents certifying parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent residence in foreign country before the birth of applicants.
1.After submitting the above materials in the online system, please pay the application fee in the system or upload the remittance voucher of the application fee.
2. The above application materials must be in Chinese or English, and notarized copies of translations must be provided for texts in other languages.
3. Please do NOT post the hard copies of the application materials or send them by e-mail. The paper application materials and the application materials sent by e-mail will not be reviewed and processed.
4. Supplementary materials or video interviews may be required when necessary.
VI. Selection Process, Admission and Notification
1. The university enrollment will be made on the basis of competitive selection according to the applicants’ research ability, academic performance, language proficiency, performance during video interview, etc.
2. Time of announcing the admission results: Admission Notice, Visa Application Forms with other relevant documents will be sent out from the end of July, 2023 in different batches.
3. Applicants will be informed about their application result via Online Application System for International Students (Link).
1. Admitted applicants must register with the university strictly according to the time specified in the admission notice. The original graduation certificate, original degree certificate, original language proficiency certificate will be checked upon registration. Those who fail to provide the corresponding certificates will be disqualified for admission.
2. Doctoral degree programs of Zhejiang University usually start from end of August or early of September every year. For exact registration dates, please refer to the Admission Notice.
Applicants for doctoral degree programs can apply for the following scholarships:
1. Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program(CSC Type A) (Link)
2. Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program (CSC Type B, application deadline is January 31, 2023)（Link）
3.“China Studies Program” Ph.D. in China Fellowship (for applicants of Humanities and Social Science programs) (Link)
4.Zhejiang University International School of Medicine Scholarship(for applicants of programs offered by International School of Medicine) (Link)
IX. Medical Insurance
Fee: RMB 800 Yuan/ Year
According to the regulations of Ministry of Education, international students who come to our school to study for one semester or longer must purchase comprehensive medical insurance in mainland of China as a necessary requirement for their registration for the new semester.
Students who fail to purchase the comprehensive medical insurance which meet certain requirements will NOT be registered by the university.
Information related to purchasing insurance will be notified in detail before registration. The admitted students should handle insurance affairs strictly according to the instructions on the notice.
For accommodation details, please refer to the Current Student-Accommodation (Link) on the Website of the International College of Zhejiang University.
Please refer to further notices for specific arrangement for accommodation.
Room 418, International College Building, West Zone, Zi-jin-gang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Post Code: 310058
Tel: +86 571 87951537
Fax: +86 571 87951755
Note: Should there be any change in the above content, the final interpretation from the International College of Zhejiang University shall prevail. Please pay attention to the update of the website of the International College in time.
For more information, please visit the website of International College Zhejiang University or follow our Wechat official account “lxzdZJU”.