For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Center For Language Education And Cooperation will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges.
Details of the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship 2023 (Zhejiang University) are provided as follows.
All applicants shall be:
a) non-Chinese citizens;
b) should be friendly to China, have no criminal record, and abide by the laws and regulations;
c) in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
d) committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
e) between the ages of 18 and 35 (as of September 1, 2023). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
A. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2023 and provides scholarship for a maximum of two academic years.
Applicants shall hold a Bachelor’s degree, and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution upon completing their studies in China or a proof to the same effect.
B. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study (Chinese Language and Literature)
The program commences in September 2023, and provides scholarship for a maximum of eleven months. International students who have benefited from similar scholarships are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
C. Scholarship for One-Semester Study (Chinese Language and Literature)
The program commences either in September 2023 or March 2024, and provides scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE and CRITERIA
The Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
For details, please refer to the website: http://cis.chinese.cn
WHEN TO APPLY (Beijing Time)
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2023
The application deadlines are:
a) May 15, 2023 (for those commencing in September 2023)
b) November 15, 2023 (for those commencing in March 2024)
I. For application, please log on to the ZJU online application system (link) and International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website (link) to complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents before above deadlines. Incomplete application will NOT be processed.
Please note: Please do NOT post the hard copies of the application materials or send them by e-mail. The paper application materials and the application materials sent by e-mail will not be reviewed and processed.
Documents for Application
For all applicants:
1. a scanned copy of passport photo page;
2. a scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity);
3. a reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions.
4. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
5. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
For applicants of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages:
1. Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies.
If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
2. Academic transcripts during Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
3. Personal statement, in Chinese, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
4. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
5. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If any)
6. 2023 version of Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Supervisor (Download). (If any)
Applicants shall provide the above form for professors to fill. Old versions will not be accepted.
7. Notarized employment agreement with teaching institutions.(If any)
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Download). The original copy should be kept by the applicant. This form is uniformly printed by the Chinese health and quarantine department and needs to be filled out in English. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. In view of the fact that the examination results are valid for 6 months, applicants are requested to reasonably arrange the time for their physical examination accordingly.
9. Non-Criminal Record Certificate.
10. Applicant who has given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese nationality, according to the policy of Ministry of Education of the PRC.
11. If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents are both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents is a Chinese citizen, please provide
 documents certifying acquiring foreign citizenship at the time of birth;
 documents certifying parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent residence in foreign country before the birth of applicants.
II. Applicants shall track the application process.
III. Successful applicants shall confirm with Zhejiang University to go through the procedures of studying in China and print out the scholarship certificate online.
IV. Successful applicants shall register at Zhejiang University at the designated date and time as per the letter of admission.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
a) Currently employed Chinese language teachers
Currently employed Chinese language teachers applying for the scholarships who can provide proof of employment and a recommendation letter from the teaching institute do not need to provide HSK certificates.
b) Chinese bridge award recipients
Applicants who have won the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate in various Chinese Bridge competitions should submit their application documents along with their scholarship certificates on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website. For further inquiry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
a) Degree students shall accept the annual assessment according to the Annual Appraisal Procedures of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship.
b) Those who failed to register on time, failed to pass the health assessment, dropped out midway and/or suspended will be deprived of scholarship.
c) For enrollment and other matters, please contact the host institutions.
d) Admitted applicants of MTCSOL program are required to provide the original copies of academic degree certificates; those who fail to provide the original copies will be disqualified for the enrollment.
Address: Room 418, International College Building, West Zone, Zi-jin-gang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou,China
Post Code: 310058
Tel: +86 571 87951537
One Semester/Academic Year program
Room 316, International College Building,West Zone, Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China 310058
Division of Test and Scholarships at the Center For Language Education And Cooperation