I. General Information for Doctoral Degree Programs
Zhejiang University is ranked among China’s leading Universities for both the quantity and quality of its doctoral degree programs. Several hundred academic majors are offered by colleges and departments affiliated to the seven faculties of science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, information technology, humanities and social sciences. With program length of 3-4 academic years, doctoral degree programs are instructed in Chinese generally, while some English-taught programs are also available. Graduates fulfilling all the degree requirements will be awarded the doctoral degree.
1、Catalog of Chinese-taught Doctoral Degree Programs 2024
2、Catalog of English-taught Doctoral Degree Programs 2024
The catalog of doctoral degree programs is subject to change. Please pay attention to the updated information on this website.
Applicants are encouraged to search in advance for information about relevant supervisors according to their own determined research direction on the official website of the academic colleges and departments and contact the relevant supervisors prior to application.
Information about supervisors and their research directions can be found on the Personal Homepage of Zhejiang University(Link) and the website of the Graduate School(Link).
Applicants are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Supervisor if applicable.
II. Application Duration
From now on to February 29, 2024
Application for scholarships will be processed according to the schedules of different scholarships respectively.
Note: Applicants must complete the application in the Online Application System for International Students (Link) before the deadline, provide all materials in full as required, and pay the application fee.
III. Application Fee and Tuition Fee
1. Application Fee: RMB 800 yuan, non-refundable.
2. Tuition Fee
Doctoral Degree Program
Philosophy, Literature, History
RMB 29,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
Econ., Business, Management,Law,Edu.,Sci.,Eng.,Agr.
RMB 34,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
Medical Science, Art, PE
RMB 39,800 Yuan/ Academic Year
-- An extra RMB 8,000 yuan/academic year shall be charged for programs whose language of instruction is English.
-- Tuition fee for some special programs could be found in the Remarks Column of the program catalog.
--The Tuition fee standard listed above is for reference ONLY. The tuition fee standard released on the admission notice shall prevail.
--For self-funded students, the tuition fee is not refundable.
3. Way of Payment: Application fee and tuition fee should be paid in the online application system.If one fails to make the online payment, then one MUST pay the application fee to the University’s Bank Account（Link）, and upload the remittance letter to the System.
1. General Requirements
1.1 Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and valid foreign passport holders.
1.2 Under the age of 40 (Age limit is flexible for healthy applicants with certain work experience and high academic ability).Applicants must be Master’s degree holders (Those who provide pre-graduation certificate or student status certificate at application MUST provide Master’s degree diploma no later than registration .)
1.3 With proper moral conduct, in good health with no infectious disease or any physical or mental disease that may affect the normal study.
2. Requirements on Citizenship
2.1 Applicants who have given up their original Chinese citizenship (including residents in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) and become foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese citizenship and household registration, according to the policy of the Ministry of Education of the PRC.
2.2 If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents were both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents was a Chinese citizen, parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent resident in foreign country should be obtained prior to the birth of the applicant.
Note: If the applicant is concluded to have Chinese citizenship by the Chinese public security department after application, admission or enrollment, the applicant will be disqualified from application, admission or enrollment or withdrawal from school will be required.
3.Language Proficiency Requirements: Applicants should meet with Language Proficiency Requirements of Doctoral Degree Programs at Zhejiang University for International Applicants（Download）
V. Documents for Application
Applicants must log in to the Online Application System for International Students of Zhejiang University (Link), fill in clearly and upload completely the original or notarized scanned copies of the following materials as required.
1. A photocopy of passport front page.The expiry date of the passport should be after December 31, 2024.
2. Highest degree certificates. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate. The original or notarized copy of the academic qualification certificate must be submitted after admission (the degree certificate must be obtained no later than registration).
3. Academic transcripts during Master’s and Bachelor’s degree study.
4. Languageproficiency certificates. （Download）
5.Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
6. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
7. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If applicable)
8.2024 version of Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Supervisor(If applicable，Click the filename to download)
Applicants shall provide the above form for supervisors to fill. Old versions will not be accepted.Applicants of some programs must provide this form, please refer to the catalog of doctoral degree programs.
9. Applicants are encouraged to provide GRE、NTS-GAT test score.
10. Applicants who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens shall provide :
10.1 documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese citizenship,
10.2 documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese household registration,
10.3 documents certifying the acquirement of foreign citizenship.
11. If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents were both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents was a Chinese citizen, please provide:
11.1 documents certifying acquiring foreign citizenship at the time of birth,
11.2 documents certifying parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent residence in foreign country before the birth of the applicant.
1.After submitting the above materials in the online system, please pay the application fee in the system or upload the remittance voucher of the application fee.
2. The above application materials must be in Chinese or English, and notarized copies of translations must be provided for texts in other languages.
3. Please do NOT post the hard copies of the application materials or send them by e-mail. The paper application materials and the application materials sent by e-mail will not be reviewed and processed.
4. Supplementary materials or video interviews may be required when necessary.
VI. Selection Process, Admission and Notification
1. The university enrollment will be made on the basis of competitive selection according to the applicants’ research ability, academic performance, language proficiency, performance during video interview, etc.
2. Admission Notice can be downloaded from the Online Application System(Link) from the end of July, 2024. Download link of the electronic Confirmation Form for Study in China （for visa）will be sent to the permanent email address filled in the application system by the applicant..
3. Applicants will be informed about their application result via Online Application System for International Students(Link).
1. Doctoral degree programs of Zhejiang University usually start from the end of August or early September every year. For exact registration dates, please refer to the Admission Notice.
2. Admitted applicants must register with the university strictly according to the time specified in the admission notice. The original graduation certificate, original degree certificate, original language proficiency certificate will be checked upon registration. Those who fail to provide the corresponding certificates will be disqualified from enrollment.
Applicants for doctoral degree programs can apply for the following scholarships:
1. Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program(CSC Type A) (Link)
2. Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program (CSC Type B, application deadline is December 31, 2023)（Link）
3. “China Studies Program”Ph.D. in China Fellowship (for applicants of Humanities and Social Science programs) (Link)
4.Zhejiang University International School of Medicine Scholarship(for applicants of programs offered by International School of Medicine)(Link)
IX. Medical Insurance
Fee: RMB 800 Yuan/Academic year
According to the regulations of Ministry of Education, international students who study for one semester or longer must purchase comprehensive medical insurance in the mainland of China as a necessary requirement for their registration for the new semester.
Students who fail to purchase the comprehensive medical insurance as required will NOT be registered by the university.
Information related to purchasing insurance will be notified in detail before registration. The admitted students should handle insurance affairs strictly according to the instructions on the notice.
For accommodation details, please refer to the Current Student-Accommodation (Link) on the Website of the International College of Zhejiang University.
Please refer to further notices for specific arrangement for accommodation.
Room 423, International College Building, West Zone, Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Post Code: 310058
Tel: +86 571 87951718
Fax: +86 571 87951755
Note: Should there be any change in the above content, the final interpretation from the International College of Zhejiang University shall prevail. Please pay attention to the update of the website of the International College (Link) in time.
For more information, please visit the website of International College Zhejiang University (Link) or follow our Wechat official account “lxzdZJU”.