Application Guide for Chinese Language & Culture Programs (non-degree)
2023 Spring Semester
I. General Information
Each semester, the International College organizes Chinese language classes at elementary, intermediate and advanced levels. The spring semester starts from late February to early July. The autumn semester starts from early September to late January.The application period for spring semester is from mid-October to December.
The exact dates shall be subject to on the admissions bulletins released on the college's website each semester.
Students are to be placed in classes that suit them best by taking a Chinese proficiency test. A semester usually consists of 17 or 18 weeks with 18 class hours of language courses per week. Besides, electives are offered for students to choose one or two courses according to the students’ interests and Chinese capacity. Upon completion of the language course, students who meet the assessment requirements will be issued with a certificate of completion from Zhejiang University.
II. Course Structure
Elementary Class: (Level 1-2)
Teaching Target: For students who have no language foundation, or who only have basic language communication skills.
Teaching Objectives: Through teaching, students develop an interest in language, build a solid language foundation, and acquire basic language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Compulsory courses: 18 class hours per week, including 10 hours of intensive reading, 4 hours of speaking and 4 hours of listening.
Elective courses: 2-4 class hours per week, including Knowledge of Chinese characters, Chinese story reading, Chinese calligraphy, etc.
Intermediate Class (Level 3-5)
Teaching Target: For students who already have a certain language foundation and are able to communicate in general spoken Chinese.
Teaching Objective: To quickly improve learners' language skills through teaching, emphasizing the teaching of reading and writing skills, thus expanding learners' learning horizons and range of interests, and focusing on developing students' reading and writing skills.
Compulsory courses:18 class hours per week, including 8 hours of intensive reading, 4 hours of speaking, 4 hours of reading, and 2 hours of writing.
Elective courses: 2-4 class hours per week, including Gong-fu, Chinese Movies & TV Dramas, Practical Chinese Writing, HSK test tutoring, etc.
Advanced Class (Level 6-7)
Teaching Target: For students with higher language level.
Teaching Objective: To develop learners' comprehensive language quality through teaching, combining language teaching with cultural teaching, general language teaching with special-purpose language teaching, so that learners can acquire certain cross-cultural communication skills while gaining an in-depth understanding of traditional Chinese culture and contemporary China.
Compulsory courses: 18 class hours per week, including 8 hours of intensive reading, 4 hours of speaking, 4 hours of reading, and 2 hours of writing.
Elective classes: 2-4 hours per week, including Approaching Contemporary China,Stories about China, Ancient Chinese, etc.
Note：The actual offering of elective courses and lecture series is subject to changes, varying from semester to semester.
*Applicants are warmly welcome to click on the following web links to experience the Chinese language & culture courses offered by the International College of Zhejiang University:
III. Application Duration （for Spring semester 2023）
From now on to December 15, 2022
Note: Applicants must complete the application in the Online Application System for International Students of Zhejiang University (Link) before the deadline, provide all materials in full as required, and pay the application fee and tuition fee.
IV. Application Fee, Tuition Fee & Insurance Fee
1.Application fee: RMB 400 yuan (non-refundable)
2.Tuition fee: RMB 9000 yuan/semester
3.Insurance fee: International students who come to Zhejiang University to study MUST purchase comprehensive medical insurance in mainland of China. For specific information, please refer to item IX.
4.Learning Materials: actual costs
5.Way of Payment: Application fee and tuition fee should be paid in the Online Application System for International Students of Zhejiang University (Link). If one fails to make the online payment, then one MUST pay the application fee to the University’s Bank Account (Link), and upload the remittance letter to the System.
Applicants must be between the age of 18 and 65, in good physical and mental conditions, and have graduated from high school.
VI. Application Procedure
1. Register an account: Login to the application system for international students of Zhejiang University (Link), register and activate your account.
2. Submit application: Fill out the online application form for international students (Chinese Language Program) at Zhejiang University and upload the photocopy of your passport.
3. Pay the application fee: Pay the application fee (RMB 400 yuan) online.
4. Check the application result: Applicants can check the application result by logging into the application system of Zhejiang University (Link).
5. Payment of tuition fee: Pre-admitted students are required to login to the application system and pre-pay tuition fee for one academic semester (RMB 9,000) within the time limit set by the university.
6. Take the placement test: Students who have completed the pre-payment will take the Chinese proficiency test (online) according to the school's arrangement.
Applicants will be notified by email of the specific arrangements for the test.
The applicants should submit all the documents through the online application system during the application period. Incomplete materials will not be processed.
The application fee will not be refunded regardless of the admission result.
VII. Review, admission and notification
1. Application materials will be reviewed and enrollment will be made on the basis of competitive selection. The list of pre-admitted students will be determined in batches.
2. After confirming the receipt of the pre-payment of tuition fee, the university will arrange the students to take the class placement test (online) in batches to precisely' match the students' Chinese proficiency to their classes.
3. For students who have completed the pre-payment of tuition fee and the proficiency test, the admission materials, including the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form etc. will be sent out in different batches starting from mid-to-late December 2022.
1. Please be sure to accurately indicate the application number and name of the applicant when wiring tuition fee to the university bank account.
2. If students, for personal reasons, give up schooling or apply for withdrawal procedures after registration, resulting in a vacancy in the school’s enrollment, prepaid tuition fees will NOT be refunded.
3. For the admitted students who are disqualified by the university as they fail to meet the school’s registration requirements, the prepaid tuition fee will NOT be refunded.
1. Admitted students shall register according to the time specified in the admission notice.
2. The usual time for registration is in mid-late February. The exact time will be confirmed on the admission notice.
Note：Affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still uncertainties about the registration for the 2023 Spring Semester. For students who are not able to come to the campus for on-site learning due to the epidemic, online teaching throughout the courses will be provided. The relevant registration time and arrangements for the new semester in the admission bulletin and notice are for reference only. According to the situation of epidemic prevention and control, the university may make adjustments to the start of the autumn semester. Please pay close attention to the notices on the college website and Wechat public account and your personal emails to learn the latest information about registration and related requirements.
Fee: 400 RMB yuan/semester
According to the regulations of Ministry of Education, international students who come to our school to study for one semester or longer must purchase comprehensive medical insurance in mainland of China as a necessary requirement for their registration for the new semester. Students who fail to purchase the comprehensive medical insurance which meet certain requirements will NOT be registered by the university.
Information related to purchasing insurance will be notified in detail before registration. The admitted students should handle insurance affairs strictly according to the instructions on the notice.
For accommodation details, please refer to the column of Current Students (Link) on the Website of the International College of Zhejiang University. Please refer to further notices for specific arrangement for accommodation.
Room 316, International College Building,West Zone, Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou，China 310058
Note: For more information, please visit the website of International College Zhejiang University or follow our Wechat official account “lxzdZJU”.
Should there be any change in the above content, the final interpretation from the International College of Zhejiang University shall prevail. Please pay attention to the update of the website of the International College in time.